2018 Youth for Human Rights Summit
Friday 4th May, 2018 at ACMI *** OPen to 12-25 year olds
EDUCATION – INSPIRATION – INNOVATION
“Be the change that you wish to see in the world.” Mahatma Gandhi
The inaugural Youth for Human Rights Summit will bring together youth from all over Victoria to learn from experts in Human Rights, participate in interactive workshops and experience the ‘stories that matter’ through film, literature, virtual reality and games.
The Summit aims to empower the next generation of human rights leaders through education, skills training and providing access to industry mentors and young leaders in the Arts and Human Rights sectors.
- Improved knowledge, understanding and awareness of human rights in 2018
- Developed leadership skills such as public speaking, creative expression and debating
- Hands on experience with new and emerging digital technologies
- Stimulated hearts and minds through the power of story (film, literature, games & VR)
- Positive solutions-based approach to issues that can sometimes be difficult or overwhelming
- Safe and supported environment to examine ideas and values behind human rights stories
- Developed sense of pride and confidence in speaking out about issues youth care about
- Opportunity to widen networks, access to young mentors and industry professionals
- Awareness of viable career pathways in the Arts and human rights sectors
The unique, innovative program will make human rights accessible and relevant – putting the humanity back into human rights. It will provide a platform for exploring human rights through story and gives all participants the opportunity to discover their own voice, equipping them with the skills and the confidence to use it.
Participants will hear from human rights experts, writers, filmmakers, poets, artists and emerging leaders about how they use their creative skills and innovation to change the world around them.
The Youth for Human Rights Summit is for anyone who wants to understand more about human rights and how as a global citizen, they can do more to make a difference in the world.